All actors need a basic hair and make up kit as well as appropriate undergarments for every dress rehearsal and performance. From the downtown theater scene to Broadway, all theater professionals should have the basics listed below:
- Basic stage-make up or good quality street make up. Please see the previous BC Dressing Room blog entry for more details.
- Make up remover, wipes, moisturizer, tissues, Q-tips or any other face care product you use regularly. Hypoallergenic, fragrance free products usually provide the best results without irritation.
- Brushes and combs
- Bobbie pins and hair elastics that match your hair color
- Styling products especially hair spray to keep your hair style intact through out the rehearsal or performance
- In some cases it may be necessary to have a hair straightener, curling iron or hot rollers
The BC Costume Shop will always provide you with protective sweat layer garments like T-shirts, slips and socks. Additional garments you will need are listed below.
- For both men and women, wear undergarments that are a neutral color or a color similar to your skin tone.
- Women please remember to wear the bra you wore during your fitting. In most cases we will ask that you wear your most supportive bra. This must be available for every dress rehearsal and performance.
- Men if you are wearing a tight fitting costume, please be sure to wear appropriate underwear. No boxer shorts under your tights.
If you have any questions at all please contact the BC Costume Shop. We’re happy to give you advice on any purchases you will need for dress rehearsals and performances!